Independent Non-executive Director at Stefanutti Stocks Holdings Limited
In essence, I am an optimist, confident and ordered. I embrace change and believe that with a bit of creativity, it is possible to solve for almost anything. I am passionate about growing people around me, more specifically developing a succession of strong women directors. Presently, top of mind for boards should be the business imperative of mainstreaming technology and innovation in order to grow, remain relevant and enhance efficiencies.
Bharti is a seasoned director with over 12 years of experience, gaining valuable insights into board deliberations relating to governance, shareholder/ stakeholder relations and traversing tough economic times. She presently serves as an independent non-executive on the following Boards, where she also is chairman of various sub-committees (Remco, Audit, Social & Ethics and Risk):
- Stefanutti Stocks Limited (JSE listed, since April 2018), Listed, Construction and engineering
- Lenmed Investments Limited (Lenmed) (since September 2010), Private hospital group
- EOH Holdings Limited (JSE listed, since 1 January 2021), Tech holding group
- Ascendis Health Limited (JSE listed, August 2013 to December 2021; rejoined in May 2022), Board Chair.
- Listed, Healthcare group
- Bell Equipment Sales South Africa (since May 2017) and Bell Equipment Company South Africa (nonexecutive director), SA sales division and factory of the listed yellow metals OEM
- St. Davids Marist, Inanda (since November 2019), Vice Chair. Independent Catholic boys’ school
- Marist Schools Council (since October 2022), Oversight body of all of the Marist schools in SA.
- Charities Aid Foundation of Southern Africa (CAF) (2008-2011), CAF is an international non-profit organisation that acts as a conduit between corporate donors and recipients of donor funds.
- Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre (EHHC), Durban (2009-2010). Whilst at IDC, Bharti was appointed to the EHHC Board, where IDC had an equity interest.
- Bell Equipment Limited (JSE listed, November 2010 to November 2017). Listed, yellow metals equipment manufacturer. Board, Social and Ethics, Audit and Risk. Audit and Risk chair for a year.
- Mineworkers Investment Corporation (MIC) (April 2013 to December 2019). Private Equity group. Board, Remuneration Committee, Social and Ethics.
PERSONAL CONTEXT AND SOCIAL INVOLVEMENT
Bharti is married to Rajeev Batohi and they have three children aged 23, 21 and 15. They live in Melrose with their two rescue dogs. Bharti loves to travel, enjoys yoga and loves cooking.
Bharti is passionate about creating a succession path for talented women board directors by leveraging her current roles as a non-executive director. In this space, she works with the 30% Club/ Business Engage, served as a judge on the annual Gender Mainstreaming Awards and hosted workshops on the Board Masterclass Series for its members.
Bharti was at the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) from September 1996 until August 2010 where she worked in the legal department and progressed to head the Corporate Funding and the International Finance
Departments. The Corporate Funding Department was responsible for raising all of IDC’s debt while the International Finance Department was responsible for all of IDC’s cross border debt, structured either through export finance, commercial or project finance. The department was also responsible for IDC’s short-term revolving credit facilities.
In this capacity Bharti was involved in various projects, including the Mozal Aluminium Smelter Expansion project (“Mozal II”) mega project.