𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗜𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝘁𝘆?
To be successful today, you must have a clear and compelling online identity. People are searching your name and making decisions about you from what Google and LinkedIn reveal.
Whether you are an employee looking to advance in your company, a professional seeking your next marketing role, or a consultant looking to land your next big deal, you should plan on being looked up online. And you should prepare for it.
Being googled on LinkedIn is the new version of the reference check. It provides your colleagues, employees, managers, clients, hiring managers and executive recruiters with critical information about you. Consider the following:
• A Harris Interactive poll revealed that 85% of respondents search people online to learn about them.
• According to Business Week, 87% of headhunters use Google and LinkedIn to make decisions about candidates and
• 75% of recruiters have eliminated candidates based on what Google revealed
𝗪𝗵𝘆 𝗟𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗲𝗱𝗜𝗻 & 𝗣𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗕𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴?
First introduced as an online resume, LinkedIn has quickly transformed into the world’s premier personal branding platform. The very first search result for your name on Google, will be your LinkedIn Profile (provided it is complete and you are an active LinkedIn member).
Says William Aruda, author of the book “Digital You”: LinkedIn helps you manage your brand throughout the longevity of your career and brings a diverse “staff” to your keypad. Think of it as your agent, recruiter, mentor, reference check, teacher, publicist:
1. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗔𝗴𝗲𝗻𝘁: Like a seasoned team of promoters (without the fee), LinkedIn makes you visible to decision-makers who are looking for exactly the services you provide. Replete with the right keywords, your LinkedIn profile connects you with people who need what you have to offer.
2. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝟮𝟰/𝟳 𝗕𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗯𝗼𝗮𝗿𝗱: Often delivering the first impression to a prospect, your LinkedIn profile is you when you aren’t there. Even if people are researching you in Google, it’s likely that they’ll end up at your LinkedIn page.
3. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗼𝗰𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻: It allows you to be part of the right community and the right conversations. More and more, you need to be connected to others who share your expertise and interests. The world of work is moving so fast, you need to be proactive to stay on top of developments in your area of thought leadership.
4. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗣𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗪𝗲𝗯 𝗦𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗕𝗹𝗼𝗴: LinkedIn lets you showcase your expertise and express your point of view. It’s not just about accomplishments. It’s about your unique perspective. Through the way you write your summary to the content you share in your activity feed, the groups you join, and the conversations you have, you bolster your brand, sharing your thoughts in a personal way with connections and those who visit your profile.
5. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗳𝗼𝗹𝗶𝗼: It helps you paint a 3D portrait of the value you create. LinkedIn allows you to integrate images and videos into your profile summary and experience, making it a true multi-media portfolio of who you are, what you have to offer, and why your work is valuable.
6. 𝗜𝘁’𝘀 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗥𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗖𝗵𝗲𝗰𝗸: By allowing your community to applaud your accomplishments, LinkedIn provides validation for everything you say about yourself. Endorsements help confirm your strengths and skills. Recommendations allow you to put the spotlight on testimonials that are associated with your various roles.
7. It’s your teacher and mentor: It helps you learn and grow. LinkedIn helps you stay on top of topics and news, as well as the wisdom of key influencers, helping you build relationships with people who can guide you in your career.
𝗪𝗵𝗼 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗗𝗿 𝗡𝗶𝗸 & 𝗬𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻?
Dr Nik Eberl & Yathin Soni have been working with leadership teams in 25 countries across 5 continents for the past 10 years, including the following: